I’ve recently discovered the event Wyrd and Wonder. Which is an annual blogstraganza all about fantasy hosted over here and I thought it would be super fun to participate. Since this event is fantasy themed this month’s TBR post will be focusing on the fantasy series I plan to read this month.
Given that I am writing this post and May has already started I’m going to start this list off with the 3 fantasy books I am currently reading at the time of writing since those will definitely get read this month
- The Rose and the Dagger by Renee Ahdieh. This is the sequel to The Wrath and the Dawn (review found here) and finishes out this duology. It is a ya fantasy retelling of the Arabian Nights tales.
- The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman. This is the start of a His Dark Materials reread. I read these for the first time so many years ago and decided to reread them before reading newest book by Pullman set in this universe as it takes place after the trilogy and my memory of the last two books is fuzzy.
- Lady Thief by A.C. Gaughen. This is the second book in this ya trilogy that is a Robin Hood. This is also a reread as a referesher in preparation for reading book 3
First up I have three fantasy series I am 100% definitely am going to finish up this month.
- The Others by Anne Bishop. This is a 5 book paranormal fantasy series and I have just one book left to round out this series.
- Thursday Next by Jasper Fforde. This is a 7 book alternate history/portal/humor fantasy and I have the last two books to read to finish this series up. I definitely recommend this series as something that’s more of a light hearted, easy read. They’re super fun books and are not big chunky books like a lot of fantasy that I tend to read is.
- Cursebreakers by Brigid Kemmerer. This is a 2 book ya fantasy retelling series based on the Beauty and the Beast fairytale and I have 1 book left in this series.
Next up I have a couple book club reads that I plan on reading as part of different book clubs over on r/Fantasy.
- All the Stars and Teeth by Adalyn Grace. This is a ya fantasy involving pirates. Which sounds super dope because I love books involving boats and pirates.
- The Bone Ships by R.J. Barker. This is an adult fantasy about dragons and also ships. What else do you need from a book honestly
- The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley. This is an adult fantasy that I think is more of the traditional adventure style fantasy
In addition to these I have a pile of books that the rest of my fantasy reading for the month will be pulled from. I have no specific goals as far as how many of these I’ll read this month or which ones. But these are my on deck books and if not read in May this will most likely get bumped up to my 100% for sure list in June.
- The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman. This is the second His Dark Materials book to continue my reread
- Lion Heart by A.C. Gaughen. The third and final book in the ya Robin Hood retelling series
- The Descent of Monster by JY Yang. This is book 3 of the Tensorate series. I really loved the first two and they’re all fairly short reads set in an Asian inspired fantasy world. The first two have also had some steampunk vibes going on
- Shadow of the Fox by Julie Kagawa. This is a ya fantasy and the first in a trilogy that is inspired by Japanese mythology
- Six of Crows by Leigh Barduo. The first in a ya fantasy duology and I think it’s an adventure fantasy starring thieves. I mostly bought it because I’ve heard lots of praise about it
- Tigana by Guy Gavriel Kay. An adult historical fiction inspired fantasy standalone. This has been on my shelves for a while but I’ve heard a lot of good things about this author and after watching Daniel Greene’s video review of this book last week I decided to stick this towards the top of my TBR pile.
Looking back at my list I’ve realized how lofty this list might be especially since there are a few non fantasy books I’m looking at getting to as well.